Saturday, January 31, 2009

St. Jude

It has been a tradition to have pictures taken by the statue




I recently went to St. Jude's to participate in a "Life Study". I was diagnosed with leukemia (A.L.L.) in March 1985. I have been in remission for over 22 years, and was a patient at St. Jude's until the summer of 2001. Since St. Jude's is actively involved in research, they closely follow all past patients and encourage continued communication to assist in determining future protocols for their patients. My mom, Johnny and I went for 3 days. It was Johnny's first time to see the hospital, so it was a great experience for him.

This is a chart of cancer survival rates since 1962, which is when St. Jude's opened. ALL is the first one listed, the survival rates have increased from 4% in 1962 to 94% today.

The ABC's of cancer is hanging on the wall in the hospital. Each letter was created by a different child. "V" was too cute and true..I had to take a picture.



Chili's has raised over 18 million dollars through fundraisers for St. Jude's

The hospital has changed A LOT over the past 20 years


There are endless murals covering the walls





2 comments:

Amy said...

The kid who wrote the "v" is quite the poet. words to live by "it sucks to up chuck" HAHA. Good visit, wish I could have gone...I have a special place in my heart for St Jude's b/c they gave me YOU! :)

The Elliott's said...

What a great testimony for St. Jude. Thank you for sharing!